The Lions club of Buderim is proud to be a significant supporter of “Park and Walk” at Buderim Mountain State School.
This project involves the State Government, Sun Coast Council, Police, Heritage Bank, Buderim IGA, and the Lions club of Buderim amongst others.
The specific input by Lions sees the provision of vital Insurance cover for Club Members and Volunteers who assist the Police in escorting children during their walk to or from school. Without this cover the project would not be possible.
In addition the Lions Club of Buderim has also created a network of sponsors, which will ensure the funding of the project for some time to come. In 2011 the Club warmly welcomed the HERITAGE BANK in Buderim as principal sponsor for the foreseeable future. Qld State Transport and Sunshine Coast Council contribute and we have further enthusiastic assistance from the Police, Buderim Safe, plus the Principal and the Parents and Friends of the Buderim Mountain State School.
The programme is already a success with approximately 280 Students enrolled in the walk at Buderim State Primary. Walks have since been added at Chancellor and Sienna Colleges, Brightwater State School, and one in the planning stage at Caloundra.
A brief description of the programme is set out below and maps and details can be found at www.travelsmartsc.com.au or call Buderim Mountain State School 5477 2777.
Why the Walks?
- The Park and Walk encourages parents to drop their children at collection points away from the congested front of the school. It operates one day per week. Currently Wednesdays.
- The assembled children are then escorted by Police and Volunteers assisted by Lions.
- The escorts ensure the children remain safe for the trip.
- Parents are encouraged to walk with their children if they are able.
- Walks vary from 5 to 15 minutes each way.
The benefits of the programme include:
- Spending more quality time with your children.
- Improve the health and fitness of parents and children
- Reduce congestion and create greater safety at the school entrance
- Reduce airborne pollution outside the school
- Reduce vehicle costs and the demand for car parking.
- More fun than driving
- Catch up with other parents, chat while walking, or chill out.
- To really make a difference try car pooling with other parents on a rotating basis.
1. The Bread and Milk walk
Starts at the Hub car park and is 5 minutes each way.(1km return)
Park behind the Hub Shopping complex
2. The Lindsay stroll
Starts at Lindsay Road and is 10 minutes each way (2km return)
Park behind Buderim Shopping Mall
3. The Down Town Walk
Starts on Townsend Road and is 15 minutes each way (2.2km return)
Park on Townsend Road near Burnett St.
4. The Leg Stretch Walk
Starts on Furguson Avenue and is 20 minutes each way (2.4km return)
Park on Ferguson Ave near Highton court.
5. The Church Walk
Starts on Church Street and is 10 minutes each way (1.6km return)
Park in the Buderim Memorial Hall car Park,Church St.
|It’s not too hard.
|Come and try it.
|Your children will thank you.